After having gone 6 and 1 in this seven-game road trip to close out 2009, the Habs prompt our list of best "Leaving on a High" move of all time.
- Seinfeld: The Episode: Shown above, George makes it a point to craft the right joke and make an immediate exit for greater effect.
- Seinfeld: The Series: Modeled on the concept of the episode, the writers abruptly decide to pull the plug on the show while it's still on top, after 9 seasons. (Six Feet Under and the Sopranos, I burn for you too)
- Ken Dryden: Played fewer than 7 full seasons. .790 winning percentage, lifetime 2.24 g.a.a., 5 Vezinas, 6 Stanley Cups, the last one in 79 after which he retires at the ripe age of 32. Other notable facts: Dryden quit his law firm after destroying the opposition in his first case. He left his wife the night of their wedding and he intends to leave office the day after he is elected Prime Minister.
- The Habs capping off 2009 with a 6-1 record on a 7-game road trip. C'mon, that just wasn't on our radar screen. Thanks to Marky who doesn't have a proper FHF name yet. How did that happen?
- Michael Jordan after first retirement from basketball in 1993 after registering a dominating three-peat. He leaves as arguably the best player ever. He returns in 1995 and leads the Bulls to a repeat three-peat (96-97-98). Jordan proceeds to have the longest exit from basketball ever, retiring and unretiring 17 more times before calling it quits for good.
- Michael Shumacher: Ok, while not statistically on top, nor a world champion at the time of his retirement in 2006, he left F-1 as one of the greatest ever and headed the best collaboration between Germans and Italians since Hitler called Mussolini and said "Hey Benito, I gotta an idea..."
- Tiger Woods: So many ways to imagine what "He was on top" could mean. We'll miss ya Tiger, but your time away will allow us to reflect on the fact that while you do look like a star with your cap on, when it's off your receding hairline makes you look like the dorkiest dude ever. It's like Superman goes back in the phone booth and comes out looking like Steve Urkel. Keep the cap on buddy and don't forget to give back the Tag on your way out, ya, that one too, uh, no, no it's not yours, just loaned it to you, yah sorry.
- Heath Ledger: Loved this guy in EVERYTHING he did. Blew me away as the latest incarnation of the Joker, blew me away while blowing a cowboy. I wish I could quit you Heath.
- Kurt Cobain, Bob Marley, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon, John Bonham, Sid Vicious, Keith Moon, B.I.G., Tupac, Elvis, Jim Morrison, Marvin Gaye and Freddie Mercury: Just imagine what we could have had and be thankful for whatever they gave.
- I need to leave you wanting more.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL. GIVE US A STRONG PLAYOFF PUSH, YOU STREAKY HABS. BE A NORRIS CANDIDATE, ANDREI MARKOV. KEEP TWO HOT GOALIES, BOBBY G. EARN YOUR BILLIONS SCOTTY G. DON'T CHANGE A THING MIKEY C.
Enjoy the winter classic and here's to wishing Flyers and Bruins fans unrelenting pneumonia.