My excitement for this team has hit bottom. I'm not gonna say rock bottom, because there are still like, a bunch of games to go. Plenty of time to really bring out the suckage. But we're almost a quarter of the way into the season, and my attitude can be nicely summed up in one word, meh. Is that even a word? Who the fuck knows. Let's hit the bullet points to discover why I'm so blah about this team:
- We can't score. 2 measly goals in our last 3 games;
- This team really doesn't play anything that could be described as "entertaining hockey";
- Losing. This team has more regulation losses than any team in the league except the woeful Hurricanes;
- Beyond the Giant Mexican Squid and Pleks, no one seems to be doing anything out there except "skating" around in a purple haze;
- There is no way I can envision this team doing anything in the playoffs, if they even make it that far;
- The man who should be our most exciting player, TFS, seems to be rife with issues, maybe media-imposed, maybe self-imposed, who knows;
- This whole
cash grab100th anniversary celebration has turned into a farce, if not a downright embarrassment;
- We suck.
OK enough with my old man complaining about you kids on my lawn, let's go back to the bullets to set up the game. I'm too meh to do anything else. And it's a game that I'm totally meh about, given that it's Phoenix. Ooh, feel the history. Of bankruptcy court.
- 9 PM ET start at Jobing.com Arena. I'll be sleeping by midway through the 2nd;
- Habs have lost 3 of their last 4, as have the Yotes. This is the only meeting this season between the teams;
- Five for Howling is a good source for all things Phoenix;
- There are no hot Habs;
- Conversely, everyone is cold. More specifically, The Urologist has zero points in 8 games (and counting);
- Did you know the Habs lead the league in minor penalties? You do now. I think about half of them have been for shooting the puck over the glass;
- Yotes riding some great golatending from Bryzgalov, who's in the top 5 in the league in GAA, save %, and shutouts;
- Shane Doan is worth a point per game. Gang Bang Lang (god I miss that) has 8 points this season;
- Lines at practice yesterday were GMS, Pleks-Tits-Pyatt, Metro-Moen-PatCHes, Laps-Gui:(-White. Once again, CHips gets screwed;
- My favourite quote from all my reading for this preview, from Jaro 2.0: "If we scored three or four goals a night, we’d be a totally different team." Amen, Jaro;
- For your post-game adult entertainment, just go walk around an Arizona State campus. Here's some of what you'll see.
UPDATE - oh look, there's a game review from 4 just below this. Go read it.