Monday, March 08, 2010

From HF29's Famous Last Words Department: "3 minutes left. This game is so over." Habs 4 - Rubber Duckies 3 (SO)

So it was a lovely weekend. Great weather, saw a few friends, Habs take care of business Saturday night. What better way to end it than a Habs Sunday night game? Against a beatable team? Finish off the road trip 3-1 and come home in a playoff spot. Sounds like a plan.

Then the Habs played the first period. Ugh. You know, really it wasn't that bad in the offensive zone. We had chances, just couldn't finish. Oh Squid, where art thou? BEEP BEEP. What's that sound? It's the sound of the Habs' D backing up. And backing up again. And again. 3-0 Ducks. Don't blame Carey, haters. Blame the D.

This game is essentially over. Price pulled. Back and forth to the Oscars goes the remote. There were a couple of highlights in the meantime. Beautiful stretch pass by Gorges to Pleks for a breakaway to get our first goal. Some Jaro-on-Jaro violence. But overall, this game was not particularly entertaining. Habs continued to generate a little offence, but couldn't bury anything. By the third period, it looked like the teams were skating in Jell-o. All except for Little Tits, who seemed to have a spring in his step. But as the third period came to a close, nothing was happening. By three minutes left, this game was over. What's on the History Channel?


Oooh, classic. Fantastic dramatic re-enactment of the Attack on Pearl Harbor from both the Japanese and American perspective. Brings back memories of my father, who was a huge WWII movie buff. This will be a great thing to fall asleep to, and I should get to bed because I have an early meeting tomorrow. Go brush my teeth, tidy up the oven mitts, get into bed, turn on the History Channel. Before falling asleep, I set my clock radio alarm. I check the volume on the radio (I don't have a separate volume knob for the radio alarm) which is tuned to CJAD as always. I hear the dulcet tones of Rick Moffat doing play-by-play. Huh?

What? Is this on tape delay? And now why is he talking about overtime? A shootout? Is this a replay from an old game? WTF? In a daze I switch the TV to RDS. Habs going to a shootout. Apparently, this is what I had missed:

- Dominic Moore working hard in the Ducks zone, picking up a loose puck, beautiful feed to Gio, goal! 3-2, 1:50 left
- Jaro pulled for the extra attacker
- Markov getting a nasty two-fisted slash on the hands from Corey Perry, no call
- Bobby Ryan picks up the loose puck caused by said slash, fires at the empty net, misses
- Habs putting on late pressure, 15 seconds left, beautiful feed from CHicken to Markov, goal!
- Markov to Perry: Suck it, dickface!
- Perry to Markov: Eat my glove, fuckface!
- Scrum ensues.

Just an average three minutes of hockey.

Now, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I hate shootouts. I want to see the NHL go back to 60-minute ties. But if all shootouts had this much drama, I may get converted. Down to the last shooter who needs to score to extend it, Gio shoots and Hiller saves. Sort of. Sliding back into his net, puck dribbles through him somehow, and goal! We have life! Uh, the play is being reviewed? In a shootout? The overlords in Toronto confirm the goal. After a Jaro save, Pleks hits the ice, the same Pleks who hasn't scored in a shootout since before there were shootouts. Goal! An average road trip becomes a successful road trip.

Thanks to three minutes I totally missed.

45 comments:

L Dude said...

Well, the Habs' mission is clear. Just like the road trip, continue to play .750 hockey. With 15 games remaining, that's 22.5 points (let's call it 22). 92 points is more than enough I think.
10 of the remaining 15 games are against teams below the Habs in the standings. Win them. There's 20 points. Take 2 of the 5 remaining to OT. So a mere 10-3-2 record will assure us of a playoff spot. I have a renewed faith in this team.

moeman said...

Hilite of the night, Helen Miren.

WV = amonostr, if McSplooge had seen Pleks! he'dve called him amonostr!

Kmaxx said...

I must admit that I was surprised when Perry was named to the Olympic Team (I always thought he was a dickhead). He came up in my opinion with some of his play in the Olympics but after his Leafs Like assault on Markov after that game tying goal he's back to being the fuckin' uselss pussy I always thought he was. I bet Brian Burke would love to have him!

soperman said...

@29

Don't you have a journalistic responsibility to watch what we believe will be unbearable, so we can go to sleep?

moeman said...

@sope, 29 isn't an 'éditorialiste' ...

Young HF29 said...

@soperman - journalist the what now?

kazmmmooooo!!!!!! said...

Funny that the Ducks are classified as "beatable" now. They have a ton of talent. But when Carlyle trots out Wisniewski instead of Koivu for the shootout? Now I know where the problem is...

bea.habs.fan said...

@Moe speaking of mcSplooge.
a colleague directed me to this:

[a href="http://www.URLtolinkto.com"]Text to display

bea.habs.fan said...

Okay so that didn't work.

sorry guys - no speak computer

http://www.thestevenetwork.ca/2010/03/06/hockey-canada-finds-some-of-crosbys-gear/

GoldenGirl11 said...

@29
I think the much bigger question here is "you wake up to CJAD??" Are you like 70?? Really? Do you call in on the weekends when they play those endless trivia games? Kids and their rock and roll I guess.

Young HF29 said...

@GG - yes, it's my biggest shame. The irony is that mom of HF29 wakes up to CHOM.

GoldenGirl11 said...

@29
But she switches over to 990 at 10:00.

Chester said...

CJAD is a source of endless blabber. I think I would rather have a root canal.

GoldenGirl11 said...

@Chester
Every Tuesday afternoon from 3:00-4:00, The Root Canal Show with Olga and Laurie. Something from everyone.

boob gainey said...

I grew up in Montreal in the 80s and remember CHOM desperately sucking even them. If there was good pop/rock music being made anywhere you could be sure it wasn't on their playlist.

Now I listen to them and they have the same freaking playlist they had them. Now they doubly suck.

iRiRi said...

I usually turn on CJAD for a good laugh. Some of those callers have a severe case of the crazies...

Le Douze said...

@bea - great link, that was the best laugh I had today!

According to some number crunchers with way too much time on their hands, the Habs have a better than 50% chance of making the playoffs, up from about 25% on Friday, and best all season. The scary thing is that I (almost) believe it, looking at were the competition is.

Of course, this assumes that our goalies and defencemen can stop injuring each other.

SomeRetard said...

@boob <- does that sound as weird as it looks?

I know, at CHOM it's like the 80s, 90s, and 00s never happened.

Kmaxx said...

I remember CJAD - My Dad used to make us listen to Ted Blackman and George Balcan (sp?) Either two still with us? (I'm going back to the 70's here boys so not being disrespectful...just older than I sound!)

GoldenGirl11 said...

@K
Both gone. My parents listened all the time. Now they have Kevin and Trudy and The Olga and Laurie Show. It's not quite the same. Although I have to admit my husband MAKES me listen to Laurie Betito's Sex Show at least once a month. Not bad.

habsinexile said...

my parents listened to chrc and Andre Arthur in Quebec city. I ran away from home, became an alcoholic, drug addict an a transvestite

Bill 101 said...

CJAD defence (gulp)

"Listen OnLine" allows the diaspora to take in Habs games at work!

wv: divit. I hope les boys aren't worried about their divits come April....

moeman said...

Whilst in Montreal (area) I listen to 99.9.

Also, 29, wake up to the iPhone playing The Clash.

Also, nice to hear you keep your mitts in order.

BTW, speaking of keeping one's hands warm, how is that CBC cutie Kristin?

Howard said...

I have to admit that I wake up to CJAD. It's so annoying that I have no choice but to get out of bed. I do like the fact that they have constant weather, traffic and news coverage. Try to get that on 990! Don't care much for the music on the radio except for CBC 93.5 with Rich Terfry aka Buck65. I love the intro to Tony Marinaro's show and Melnick in the aft is my favorite show. You even get Mcsplooge at 5:30! What more could you ask for?

moeman said...

@bea, that was funny! GG, put the lovely McSplooge pic in the photo vault.

GoldenGirl11 said...

@Moe
Out of the trunk and into the vault. Just so long as the vault is at someone else's house. Collects jock straps????? Eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww.

moeman said...

McSplooge is a sniffin' sicko but with your amazing skillz GG you can photoCHop almost any magwired MONSTER! next to his pretty pink bald head.

Young HF29 said...

moe knows. 99.9 is the buzz (literally)

how is that CBC cutie Kristin?

bitch hasn't returned my 300+ calls and daily emails. and i thought that restraining order was unnecessary

moeman said...

@29, she's probably a leaf fan.

moeman said...

Dave and Denis on rds make my brain hurt. Yes, I could be watching curling on tsn but no CHeryl, no curling for me.

iRiRi said...

@Howard - Ditto for the intro to Tony Marinaro's show.

moeman said...

rds pulls the wool over our eyes and spends the day editing a Top 10 Gu:( goals goulash.

Here's an idea find Pleks! Top 10 and give Habs fans something to CHeer you bunch of Gu:( girlfriends.

iRiRi said...

Random thought: How about they send Benjamin Maxwell back down and bring up White to kick some ass against Tampa...

boob gainey said...

HF29 - don't worry. I was once interviewed by Wendy Mesley. I was quite excited beforehand, but I kinda wish she hadn't mentioned her new husband like 200 times while we were waiting for the camera and sound guys to set up.

Anyway, I think there was a certain amount of heat during the interview.

moeman said...

heh,

http://blip.tv/play/gp0JgcjiYQI%2Em4v

~~~

I met Wendy Mesley some 15 years ago. Quite the pretty gal (except for the cigarette). Like boob says, it felt kinda warm being around her.

GoldenGirl11 said...

@Boob
DrGG was on the Global morning show and called Tracey "Jamie". No heat.

GoldenGirl11 said...

@Moe
Best storyteller I ever knew was my Uncle Meilech. He probably dated Mrs. Nafkewitz way back when in the shtetl.

Young HF29 said...

@boob & moe - i am SO jealous. i have had a Wendy Mesley thing since forever. until she married Peter Mansbridge. what a turnoff

moeman said...

My thing for Wendy has yet to subside. Peter has since snagged another Canadian cutie Cynthia Dale as his lawfully wed concubine. Who says looks matter? (see McSplooge).

Orangeman said...

I'll defend CJAD here too seeing as they at least let me listen to the games. I also enjoy the old-timey music they play afterwards on Saturday nights. Sorry, I mean 'retro' music for those of you who remember Nixon resigning.

I was once interviewed by Jenny Jones and felt some heat. Too bad my baby's momma was all up in my shit. Bitch, I dont even know if that baby be mine anyways.

Number31 said...

How does one wake up to CJAD? That's like waking up in class and realizing you haven't missed anything important. I'm done with CHOM ever since PJ Stock came in to piss me off. Now I just wake up to semi-static as I try to keep the radio on 99.9 The Buzz (which is the Fuzz for me because for some reason I'm in a radio deadzone when I can pick it up just fine down the street at my parent's house).

Howard said...

So is that it for TFS? Does he go back to firing up spliffs on the bench? How about Hamerlik you get your fat Czech ass out of my face so I can see the shooter? Ok Spacek we'll just try to assasinate Halak on the ice! Those WILD and CRAZY guys!

kevincrumbs said...

Many years ago, I had a crush on The National correspondent Christina Lawand. I remember visiting my GF at the time in Seattle and happened to catch The National on a particular evening. When the GF saw Ms. Lawand, she turned to me and said "You have a crush on HER?"

It's been so long that I can't even remember what she looks like but I think she was cute. Peter Mansbridge remains pretty awesome, though.

-----

Surprised there's not more Oscars hottie talk around here besides moeman's Helen Mirren shout out. I had never heard of her until last night but Carey Mulligan was fucking gorgeous. I still love the Phat Whale but wouldn't mind if the Habs swapped Careys on us.

moeman said...

kc knows, Carey Mulligan is a babe, as is Rachel McAdams, a cuter than cute Canadian gal.

Anonymous said...

I normally just read without comments, but did anyone else realize how much a young Joshua Jackson looks like the younger of the tits? Just an observation...